A quick guide to getting started with research:
- READ through the research offerings listed on the research opportunities page to browse available positions.
- LOOK at listings in departments other than your own in case you have applicable skills or it requires multidisciplinary work.
- CONTACT the faculty member(s) listed on the offering and provide them with your year, major, class schedule, and any past experience.
- If you’re eligible for work study, be sure to mention this to your lab to see if you are able to be paid for your work.
- You can also reach out to other faculty for research opportunities outside of those listed on our website.
- Go to department websites to read about the research different faculty members are conducting.
- When you find a few faculty members whose research interests you, contact them saying that you are an undergraduate student looking for research experience and provide them with your year, major, class schedule, and any past experience.
To get an idea of what conducting research at Columbia entails, view our webinar and read through our student stories. Join us for our Spring 2022 webinar - date (to be announced).