New York City Transit plans to transform its 4,000 buses to fully electric by 2040, while currently operating 6 electric buses as a pilot program. This project will take a preliminary step to estimate the electric energy consumption of a full electric bus fleet, and identify the charging station need, location, and technology.
- Download bus schedule and route data from MTA website.
- Create bus drive train model based on public data sheet.
- Calculate energy consumption for each bus per route.
- Develop an adaptive charging simulation platform.
- Simulate various charging designs.
- Record energy consumption at each charging location.
Direct Supervisor: Bolun Xu
Position Dates: 6/1/2020 - 8/31/2020
Hours per Week: 35
Number of positions: 1
- Good programming background: data structure and algorithms.
- Experience with Matlab, Python, or Julia.
- Experience with energy or power system analysis is a plus.
- Experience with battery simulation is a plus.
Eligibility: (SEAS only)